I’ve finally got the hang of the ternary operator. This just means that I can now write my conditional statements in a much more compact way, things like return (confirmed) ? true : false;. If the variable ‘confirmed’ is truthy, return true, otherwise return false.
A great discovery in the last couple of months has been the hashchange event. The browser can detect changes to the part of the URL that appears after the #. This means that when we use links to change something like filter the data in a table, instead of the link’s href bring empty or set to the meaningless “#”, we can put something meaningful in there. For example our href could be “#female” and the URL will change to reflect this. The hashchange event will listen for this change and we can then grab the part after the hash symbol using window.location.hash and do our filtering. This has the added bonus of appearing in the browser’s history so the user can hit their back button to undo a filter. Much better and feels like this is how it’s supposed to work.
Earlier this year I wrote a jQuery script to handle pagination in a HTML table. I won’t go into the horribly complicated detail here but the learning point for me was to get the logic clear in my mind before getting into the code. I actually went back to pen and paper, sketching out the various scenarios and then finding the patterns to create my code.
As part of the Angular work I’ve also learned how to do Unit Testing using the Jasmine framework. Unit testing always felt like a lot of extra work to me but now I see that having a long list of small tests that run is invaluable. It gives you the freedom to write new code knowing that any knock-on effects you create in the process will be picked up. It makes for far more robust and less buggy code.
Recently, I’ve implemented 2 jQuery plugins into a project, tablesorter for automatically sorting the rows of a table by clicking on a column heading, and elevateZoom for adding the capability of zooming in on a thumbnail image, like we often see on clothing details pages. Both are very well written with a lot of options available. Using these has made me realise that I can now go into the code of the plugins and actually follow (more or less) what is going on. I hope to be able to write and share some of my own in the next couple of years.
Google Maps API v.3I’ve now spent a few months working with this API and have got a good understanding of how it works and how it can be used and extended to do more. I created my own utility library of functions for all the things I need to do regularly - draw markers and polygons with info windows which appear on click, calculating areas, converting area units, adding data layers and heatmaps, encoding/decoding polygon paths, adding new map controls, etc. There was also some more advanced functionality in there too which goes beyond what’s included in the API - calculating the optimal bounds (map viewport) to show a number of polygons, determining the direction or winding (clockwise or anti/counter-clockwise) of a polygon, calculating the centroid (centre from the average coordinates of points) of a polygon.
I’ve also used some third party features to extend the mapping functionality. One of these has allowed me to cluster markers so rather than have a lot of marekrs close together on screen we show a number of markers, much neater. Another has enabled me to place text labels on the map, which isn’t possible out-of-the-box.